The Costs Of Owning A Boat
Boating is more affordable than you might think, and there’s a boat for every age, lifestyle, and budget. However, it is always good to understand the many costs of owning a boat that go beyond the sticker price. When buying a new or used boat in Ontario, be sure to clearly outline the primary use of the boat. This will help you choose the best boat to suit your wants and needs. Most people don’t realize how affordable boating can be if your budgeting is done properly. In some instances, you can buy a brand new boat financed for around $250.00 a month. Used boat dealerships offer great deals as well, and usually have many different kinds of boats and popular brands available for sale.
When buying a new or used boat in Ontario, it is important to understand the four most costly aspects of boat ownership besides the price of the actual boat, and they are: Maintenance, Insurance, Winterization and Storage. Read more below:
The Pride Marine Group Customer Care Passport can help you alleviate these costs and have worry free boating your first year of boating with your new boat. Maintenance, storage, winterization and a lot more is included your first year of boating. Find out more using this link
- Boat, trailer, and engine maintenance can be as simple as a freshwater wash down after each use and keeping them covered between trips. This will help to keep maintenance costs at a minimum.
- Costs for routine maintenance vary by region, but for other services, such as oil changes and winterizing, expect to pay on an hourly basis. Pre-owned or used boats can require much more maintenance. When buying a new or used boat in Ontario, it is important to remember that maintenance can be costly, and you should determine how much you’ll be paying yearly in maintenance before going ahead with purchasing.
- Boat insurance costs will vary; many different factors determine the insurance costs for a boat, new or used. The boat length, type, and the actual cost of the boat will determine how much you’ll have to pay in insurance. Consult your insurance agent for quotes or compare rates online.
- One way that you can reduce the cost of marine insurance premiums is by taking a boater’s education course.
Pride Marine Group partner with Northstar Insurance; where you can obtain the best insurance rate in Ontario.
Winterization and Storage:
- You have several options depending on the size of your boat. You won’t find a less-expensive way to keep a boat than storing it on a trailer in your driveway or backyard.
- Another alternative for smaller boats is rack storage. A typical rack storage facility keeps your boat in a covered shed with trailer-like cradles.
- For owners of larger boats, and owners of small boats who crave convenience, a marina slip is the best way to go. Costs vary by province/region as well as by the size of your boat.
- Pride Marine Group offers indoor heated storage